Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures for Women
Cosmetic surgery has become an increasingly popular option for women seeking to alter their appearance or address medical issues. The decision to undergo cosmetic surgery is highly personal and can be influenced by a variety of factors, including personal desires and health considerations.
In this blog, Sydney Plastic Surgeon Dr Jake Lim will discuss the different aspects of cosmetic surgery for women, including the types of procedures, the risks and benefits, and the psychological impact.
International Trends in Cosmetic Surgery for Women
The ASPS, representing 92 percent of all board-certified plastic surgeons in the United States, provides an authoritative voice on trends, safety, and innovations within the plastic surgery sphere. Their data is a reflection of societal trends, encapsulating the desires and decisions of women across the nation. According to their latest findings, there has been a significant 19% increase in cosmetic surgery procedures in 2022 since 2019. This surge is not just a post-pandemic rebound; it is indicative of a deeper, more profound societal acceptance.
The increase in cosmetic procedures also speaks volumes about the innovations in the field. With advances in techniques, improved safety protocols, and a broader range of options available, women are finding it increasingly feasible to align their outer appearance with how they see themselves.
Getting into the specifics, the ASPS report for 2022 reveals the most sought-after cosmetic surgeries for women, painting a picture of the current aesthetic preferences among women. The trends are as much a reflection of technological advancements as they are of changing beauty standards and lifestyle choices.
Liposuction leads with 325,669 procedures performed in 2022, marking a 23% increase from 2019. This procedure has benefited from technological advancements that offer more precise results and reduced recovery times.
Breast augmentation, with 298,568 procedures, remains a staple in cosmetic surgery, showing a modest 4% increase. Innovations in implant technology and surgical techniques have made breast augmentation more customisable and safe, allowing women to achieve their desired outcomes.
Abdominoplasty, or the “tummy tuck,” has seen a remarkable 37% increase, with 161,948 procedures. This rise can be attributed to its effectiveness in addressing post-pregnancy and weight loss changes, areas of significant concern for many women.
Breast lifts (Mastopexy) and eyelid surgeries (Blepharoplasty) follow closely, with increases of 30% and 13%, respectively. The breast lift’s popularity underscores a shift towards a more natural aesthetic, with women opting to modify the position of their breasts without necessarily increasing their size.
Eyelid surgery’s rise is partly due to the “Zoom boom”—the phenomenon of increased video conferencing, where facial features, particularly around the eyes, have become a focal point of attention.
Cosmetic Surgery for Women in Sydney, Australia
In Sydney, Dr Jake Lim, an experienced specialist plastic surgeon, offers a comprehensive range of cosmetic surgeries tailored to the unique needs of women. At My Klinik, Dr Lim and his team are dedicated to providing personalised care, combining 23 years of surgical experience with the latest and safest techniques available.
- Post Pregnancy Procedures: Understanding the physical changes that come with motherhood, Dr Lim offers post-pregnancy procedures that typically involve plastic surgery of the abdomen and breasts
- Breast Treatments: Dr Lim performs different breast procedures such as augmentation and reduction mammoplasty (breast augmentation and breast reduction), and mastopexy (breast lifts). These procedures are focused on altering the size, shape, and overall appearance of the breasts, tailored to each patient’s individual desires and body type
- Post Weight Loss Procedures: For those who have undergone significant weight loss, Dr Lim provides post-weight loss procedures to remove heavy excess skin. These surgeries are vital for patients seeking to finalize their change, boosting both the ease and look of their newly formed body contours.
At My Klinik, located in Castle Hill and Westmead, the team is committed to helping each patient achieve the best possible results. They emphasise patient safety, education, and optimal outcomes as their top priorities, ensuring that every individual receives the highest standard of care.
Dr Lim believes in the importance of informed decision-making and offers consultations to discuss available treatments and procedures. He is passionate about ensuring that each patient has access to the right information to make well-informed decisions about their cosmetic surgery journey.
If you are interested in learning more about the specific procedures offered by Dr Jake Lim and to view before and after galleries, please visit the following links:
Tips to Prepare for Cosmetic Surgery
Preparing for cosmetic surgery is an essential step to ensure a smooth procedure and recovery. Here are some tips to help you get ready for your upcoming surgery:
- Understand the Procedure: Learn as much as you can about the surgery, including the risks, benefits, and recovery process. This will help you set realistic expectations and prepare mentally and physically
- Get a Medical Evaluation: Dr Lim will likely require a medical evaluation to ensure you’re fit for surgery. This may include blood tests, a physical exam, and other necessary medical clearances
- Discuss Medications: Inform your surgeon about all the medications, supplements, and vitamins you’re taking. Some of these may need to be stopped before surgery as they can increase the risk of bleeding
- Quit Smoking: Smoking can significantly impair healing and dramatically increase the risk of complications. Dr Lim advises patients to quit smoking at least four to six weeks before and after surgery
- Avoid Certain Foods and Beverages: Some foods and beverages can interfere with anaesthesia or recovery. Dr Lim may advise you to avoid alcohol, caffeine, and certain supplements
- Arrange for Assistance: You will need someone to drive you to and from the surgery centre and stay with you for at least the first night after the procedure
- Prepare Your Home: Set up a comfortable recovery area with pillows, a thermometer, a phone within reach, and a place to store medications. Stock up on easy-to-prepare foods, ice packs, and any recommended ointments or creams
- Follow Pre-Operative Instructions: Dr Lim will provide specific instructions to prepare for surgery, which may include fasting or using special antibacterial soap. Follow these instructions carefully
- Plan for Recovery Time: Clear your schedule and take the necessary time off work. Recovery times vary depending on the procedure, so ask Dr Lim what to expect
- Stay Hydrated and Maintain Good Nutrition: Drink plenty of water and eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals to support healing
- Have Realistic Expectations: Understand that it may take time to see the final results and that healing is a gradual process
- Follow Instructions for the Day of Surgery: You may be instructed not to eat or drink anything after midnight the day before your surgery. Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that does not go over your head
- Prepare for Post-Surgery Care: Understand and prepare for the post-surgery care you’ll need, including wound care, medications, and follow-up appointments
By following these tips, you can help ensure a safer surgery and a smoother recovery. Always keep open communication with Dr Lim and his team, and feel free to ask questions or express any concerns you may have as you prepare for your procedure.
How Much Is Cosmetic Surgery for Women in Sydney?
The cost of cosmetic surgery in Sydney, Australia, can vary widely depending on several factors, including the type of procedure, the plastic surgeon’s expertise, the complexity of the surgery, the facility where the surgery is performed, and the length of the post-operative care required.
Cost of Cosmetic Surgery:
- Minor Procedures: Procedures such as minor skin treatments or injectables can range from a few hundred to a few thousand Australian dollars
- Major Surgeries: More extensive surgeries like breast augmentation, liposuction, or facelifts can cost anywhere from AUD 10,000 to AUD 25,000 or more. Complex procedures or those requiring multiple surgeries will be at the higher end of the spectrum
It’s important to note that these prices are indicative and can vary.
Medicare and Health Insurance Coverage
In Australia, Medicare and private health insurance may cover some plastic surgery procedures, but this is typically limited to operations that are medically necessary, not those that are purely for cosmetic reasons. Here are some points to consider:
- Medicare: It may cover a portion of the costs for procedures that are deemed medically necessary, such as breast reduction that is required to alleviate back pain or reconstructive surgery after mastectomy
- Private Health Insurance: Coverage depends on the level of insurance you have. Some policies may cover hospital stay and a portion of the surgeon’s fees for procedures that are medically necessary. Private Health Insurance does not cover elective cosmetic surgeries
- Cosmetic vs. Reconstructive Surgery: There is a distinction between cosmetic surgery for aesthetic purposes and reconstructive surgery for correcting issues due to congenital defects, trauma, or disease. The latter is more likely to be covered by Medicare and private health insurance
- Item Numbers: Procedures that have a Medicare item number are often covered. This number indicates that the procedure is recognised for its medical necessity
FAQs about Cosmetic Surgery for Women
What is the most popular cosmetic surgery for women?
- The most popular cosmetic surgery for women is breast augmentation. This procedure aims to increase the size, shape, or fullness of the breast using implants or fat transfer. It remains highly sought after due to its ability to address body contour, correct asymmetry, and restore breast volume that may have been lost due to weight fluctuations, pregnancy, or ageing.
What is the most popular cosmetic surgery for the face?
- For facial cosmetic procedures, rhinoplasty, or a nose job, is the most popular. It involves reshaping or resizing the nose to modify its appearance and proportion in relation to other facial features. Sometimes, it’s also performed for medical reasons, such as to correct breathing issues related to the nose’s structure.
How do I choose cosmetic surgery?
- Choosing cosmetic surgery should be a carefully considered decision. It is crucial to conduct thorough research, understand the potential risks and benefits, and set realistic expectations. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and options. Assess the surgeon’s experience and review before-and-after photos of their previous work. Additionally, ensure that the facility where the surgery will be performed is accredited and has a reputation for safety and quality care.
Does plastic surgery ever look natural?
- Yes, plastic surgery can look natural when performed by an experienced, skilled surgeon. The key to achieving a natural appearance is subtlety and a deep understanding of human anatomy and aesthetics. A successful outcome often means others cannot tell that surgery has been performed.
How long is the recovery period after cosmetic surgery?
- The recovery period after cosmetic surgery varies widely depending on the procedure performed and the individual’s overall health. Minor procedures may require only a few days of downtime, while more extensive surgeries can necessitate several weeks of rest and limited activity. It’s crucial to follow Dr Lim’s post-operative care instructions, which include guidelines on rest, medication, and follow-up visits, to ensure a smooth and safe recovery. It’s also important to note that while initial recovery may be relatively quick, complete healing and the final results of the surgery can take several months to a year to fully manifest.
Further Reading about Plastic Surgery Procedures with Dr Jake Lim
- Read Dr Jake Lim’s Breast Augmentation Surgery Page
- Read Dr Jake Lim’s Liposuction Surgery Page
- Read Dr Jake Lim’s Blepharoplasty Surgery Page
- Read Dr Jake Lim’s Abdominoplasty Surgery Page
- Read Dr Jake Lim’s Breast Reduction Surgery Page
Medical References about Cosmetic Surgery for Women
- Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Overview – Johns Hopkins Medicine
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons Reveals 2022’s Most Sought-After Procedures
- Demographic and Cultural Differences in the Acceptance and Pursuit of Cosmetic Surgery
- Cosmetic Procedures – ASPS
- Plastic Surgery for Women
About Dr Jake Lim
Highly qualified and experienced specialist plastic surgeon Dr Jake Lim focuses on facial plastic, cosmetic breast and body contouring after significant weight loss
Dr Lim creates the best possible plastic surgery results for his Australia-wide and international patients.
Dr Lim is passionate about making sure each and every patient has access to the right information about available treatments and procedures and is able to make well-informed decisions.
At My Klinik, patient safety, education and achieving optimal results are our top priorities.