Weight Loss Resources for Plastic Surgery Patients in Sydney
Getting plastic surgery is a significant decision, one that requires careful preparation both mentally and physically. A crucial aspect of this preparation is achieving and maintaining a stable and healthy weight. Not only does this ensure optimal surgical outcomes, but it also minimises potential risks and complications. While Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Jake Lim is renowned for his expertise in plastic surgery, he understands the importance of holistic patient care. As such, he recommends a selection of weight loss clinics and resources in Sydney to assist patients in their weight loss endeavours. Dr Lim aims to provide prospective patients with trusted resources to help them achieve their weight loss goals, setting the foundation for a successful plastic surgery experience.
Recommended Weight Loss Clinics in Sydney
My Weight Loss Specialists
A South Eastern Sydney medical practice offering a range of clinical weight loss and obesity treatments.
- Location & Contact: My Weight Loss Specialists
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research Weight Loss Clinic
Offers a weight loss program that is realistic, sustainable, and grounded in evidence-based medicine.
- Location & Contact: Woolcock Institute Weight Loss Clinic
Dr Georgia Rigas Weight Loss Treatment
Offers both nonsurgical weight loss programs and surgical weight loss treatments.
- Location & Contact: Dr Georgia Rigas Weight Loss Treatment
Online Programs and Apps for Pre-Surgery Weight Loss
In today’s digital age, there are plenty of online resources designed to aid individuals in their weight loss journey. These tools, ranging from comprehensive programs to user-friendly apps, offer personalised guidance, track progress, and provide valuable information. Here are some highly recommended online programs and apps for those preparing for plastic surgery:
Noom is a behaviour change app that uses psychology-based approaches to help users make healthier choices. It offers personalised meal plans, tracks food intake, and provides feedback from real coaches.
- Features: Food logging, exercise tracking, personalised feedback, and educational articles
- Website/App: Noom
This app is a comprehensive food diary and activity log. It boasts a vast database of foods, allowing users to track their caloric intake and macronutrients easily.
- Features: Barcode scanner for foods, recipe importer, food insights, and workout logs
- Website/App: MyFitnessPal
Weight Watchers (WW)
WW is an established weight loss program that has transitioned into the digital age with its app. It uses a point system to help users make healthier food choices.
- Features: Personalised food plans, activity tracking, community support, and 24/7 live coaching
- Website/App: Weight Watchers
7 Minute Workout
For those with a tight schedule, this app offers quick, effective workouts that can be done anywhere without any equipment.
- Features: Various 7-minute workouts, video tutorials, and progress tracking
- Website/App: 7 Minute Workout
This is a user-friendly app that helps users set and achieve calorie intake and weight loss goals.
- Features: Food tracking, barcode scanner, meal planning, and community challenges
- Website/App: Lose It!
Using these online tools can be a game-changer for those looking to shed some kilograms before their surgery. They offer the flexibility to fit into various lifestyles and provide the support and guidance needed to achieve weight loss goals. Before starting any weight loss program, it’s always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional to ensure it’s the right fit for your individual needs.
Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss
Bariatric surgery is a medical procedure designed to help individuals lose weight by altering the digestive system. It’s an effective solution for those who haven’t achieved long-term weight loss through other methods. This surgery can significantly improve the quality of life, reduce the risk of obesity-related conditions, and enhance overall health.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This procedure involves removing approximately 3/4 of the stomach, which reduces its size and limits the amount of food it can hold
- Gastric Bypass: A small stomach pouch is created to restrict food intake. A section of the small intestine is then attached to the pouch, bypassing a portion of the digestive tract and reducing calorie absorption
- Revisional Surgery: Patients who have previously undergone bariatric surgery may need revisional surgery for various reasons, such as complications or inadequate weight loss
Recommended Bariatric Surgeons in Sydney
Dr Roy Brancatisano
Over his career, Dr Roy Brancatisano has performed over 4000 weight loss surgery operations, including laparoscopic gastric sleeve resections, gastric bypass, and revisional surgeries. In 2003, Dr Brancatisano founded the Institute of Weight Control and introduced the ‘Circle of Care’ Program in Sydney, a comprehensive care initiative designed to support patients undergoing weight loss surgery. This program was developed in response to patient feedback, emphasising the importance of a holistic approach to care with a team of health professionals.
Sydney Bariatric Clinic
A multi-disciplinary medical clinic offering surgical treatment for obesity and related metabolic conditions. The team comprises surgeons, anaesthetists, clinicians, exercise physiologists, dietitians, psychologists, and nurses
- Surgeons: Dr Brendan Ryan and Dr Nicholas Cocco
- Locations: Clinics in Westmead, Baulkham Hills, and Campbelltown.
- Website: Sydney Bariatric Clinic
Dr John Jorgensen
One of Australia’s most experienced bariatric and Upper GI surgeons.
- Website: Dr John Jorgensen
Dr V. Kuzinkovas
An experienced bariatric surgeon offering high-quality procedures for weight loss.
- Website: Advanced Obesity Surgery
Specialises in obesity surgery, connecting patients with top bariatric surgeons and the latest surgical techniques.
- Website: OClinic Sydney
Bariatric surgery is a significant step towards achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. It’s essential to consult with a qualified bariatric surgeon to discuss the best surgical option for your individual needs and to understand the potential risks and benefits.
Weight Loss Tips to Incorporate in Daily Life
Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight doesn’t always require drastic measures. Small, consistent changes in your daily routine can lead to sustainable weight loss over time. Here are some practical tips to help you on your journey:
- Stay Hydrated
Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. Often, our bodies confuse thirst with hunger. Drinking water can also boost metabolism and help in burning calories.
- Mindful Eating
Pay attention to what you eat and savour each bite. This practice helps in recognising fullness cues, preventing overeating.
- Incorporate Physical Activity
Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week. This can be as simple as brisk walking, cycling, or even dancing.
- Limit Processed Foods
Opt for whole, unprocessed foods like fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. They are more nutritious and filling.
- Eat Regular Meals
Skipping meals can lead to overeating later. Have regular, balanced meals and include healthy snacks if needed.
- Get Adequate Sleep
Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Lack of sleep can disrupt hunger hormones and lead to weight gain.
- Reduce Stress
Chronic stress can lead to overeating or unhealthy eating habits. Find ways to manage stress, such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or hobbies.
- Limit Sugary Drinks
Beverages like sodas, sweetened teas, and coffees can add unnecessary calories. Opt for water, unsweetened teas, or black coffee.
- Cook at Home
Preparing meals at home allows you to control ingredients and portion sizes. Experiment with healthy recipes and cooking methods.
- Set Realistic Goals
Instead of aiming for rapid weight loss, focus on achievable, sustainable goals. Celebrate small victories along the way.
- Stay Accountable
Keep a food and exercise journal or use mobile apps to track your habits. Having a record can help identify patterns and areas for improvement.
- Limit Alcohol Intake
Alcohol can add extra calories and reduce your inhibitions, leading to overeating. If you drink, do so in moderation.
- Stay Active Throughout the Day
Take short breaks to stretch or walk around, especially if you have a sedentary job. Consider using a standing desk or taking stairs instead of elevators.
- Listen to Your Body
Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re satisfied. Learn to differentiate between physical hunger and emotional cravings.
Incorporating these tips into your daily life can make a significant difference over time. Remember, it’s not about perfection but consistency. Celebrate your progress, and don’t get discouraged by occasional setbacks. Every step you take towards a healthier lifestyle counts!
More Resources to Help You Lose Weight
Healthdirect Australia – Weight Loss and Dieting
This resource provides comprehensive information on healthy ways to lose weight, the risks of fad dieting, and how to spot a fad diet. It emphasises the importance of a balanced diet and regular physical activity.
- Nearly 2 in 3 Australians are overweight or obese
- A balanced diet should include foods from five primary food groups: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, and dairy
- Physical activity should be incorporated most days of the week
- Fad diets can be potentially harmful and are not long-term solutions
- Australian Dietary Guidelines
- Australia’s Physical Activity and Exercise Guidelines
- Get Healthy NSW: A free telephone service in NSW that offers support for healthy eating, physical activity, and weight management
- Better Health Coaching Service: A free service in South Australia that supports individuals in adopting a healthier lifestyle
- LiveLighter: A program that encourages Australians to make healthier food and drink choices and be more active
- Website: Healthdirect Australia – Weight Loss and Dieting
Better Health Channel
The Better Health Channel provides a range of articles and resources on weight management, healthy eating, and the risks associated with fad diets.
- Key Resources:
Eat For Health
This website offers guidelines and tips for healthy eating and weight loss based on the Australian dietary guidelines.
- Key Resource:
- Tips for Losing Weight Healthily: Provides advice on choosing foods that offer the most nutrients without the extra calories
Read more about Plastic Surgery with Dr Jake Lim
- Read Dr Lim’s Body Procedures after Weight Loss Surgery Page
- Read Dr Lim’s Lower Body Lift Surgery Page
- Read Dr Lim’s Upper Body Lift Surgery Page
- Read Dr Lim’s Abdominoplasty Surgery Page
- Read Dr Lim’s Liposuction Surgery Page
- Read Dr Lim’s Blog about Options for Losing Weight Before Your Plastic Surgery
About Dr Jake Lim
Highly qualified and experienced specialist plastic surgeon Dr Jake Lim focuses on facial plastic, cosmetic breast and body contouring after significant weight loss
Dr Lim creates the best possible plastic surgery results for his Australia-wide and international patients.
Dr Lim is passionate about making sure each and every patient has access to the right information about available treatments and procedures and is able to make well-informed decisions.
At My Klinik, patient safety, education and achieving optimal results are our top priorities.